Chicken Tortilla Soup starts with a canned, condensed soup base. It’s rich and cheesy, with the kick of green chiles. This recipe is a tasty way to use left over rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey.
Recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 Tbsps. oil
1 can condensed nacho cheese soup
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 soup can milk
2 small cans green chile enchilada sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces and brown in the oil. Add condensed soups, milk, and enchilada sauce. Heat through. Put a small handful of tortilla chips in each serving bowl. Fill with hot chicken tortilla soup mixture. Top with a generous sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
• You can use condensed cream of mushroom soup in place of the cream of chicken soup.
• Use skinless, boneless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breast.
• Use turkey instead of chicken.
• Use condensed cream of potato soup instead of the cream of chicken soup.
• Omit the tortilla chips and serve with warmed tortillas.
• This is an excellent way to use leftover rotisserie chicken or leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
• If using already cooked chicken or turkey, omit the oil.
• Garnish with sour cream, sliced scallions, and/or sliced ripe olives.
• Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas.