Chunky Cream of Broccoli Soup is rich with onions, celery, and garlic browned in butter This is not the typical pureed broccoli in cheese sauce soup.
Recipe for Chunky Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 bunch broccoli
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
Trim broccoli, peeling away the toughest part of the stem. Break or cut off the flowerets. Slice the stems. Cook the broccoli in the chicken broth. Sauté the onions, celery and garlic in the butter. Gradually stir flour into butter mixture. Then, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Add the broccoli and chicken broth, salt and pepper, and herbs. Continue cooking over low heat until soup thickens and boils.
• If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use water.
• Or, use water and up to five chicken bouillon cubes.
• To make Vegetarian Chunky Cream of Broccoli Soup, use water or vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth.
• For cream of cauliflower soup, use one medium size head of cauliflower instead of the broccoli. Prepare in the same was as for the broccoli soup.
• For cream of carrot soup, use one pound peeled and sliced carrots in place of the broccoli.
• This is not the typical mild flavored, pureed cream of broccoli soup.
• Browning the vegetables in butter add richness.
• Goes great with turkey sandwiches.
• Finish the meal with fresh fruit.