Corn and Sausage Chowder is a hearty pick-me-up for a cold day. Red pepper flakes give it a bit of zip. The variation includes pimento cheese spread.
Recipe for Corn and Sausage Chowder
1 lb. ground pork sausage
2 cups water
3 cups diced potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart creamed corn
1 cup fresh kernel corn
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
sprinkling of red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Scramble and brown the pork sausage in a Dutch oven. Drain off the fat. Add water, potatoes, onion, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through.
• Use 2 cans creamed corn instead of the 1 quart creamed corn.
• Use 1 can whole kernel corn, one 8 ounce box of frozen instead of the fresh kernel corn.
• Use 1 small can evaporated milk instead of the heavy cream.
• Add 1 cup pimento cheese spread. Add it when you add the corn.
• If you use a spicy sausage, you may want to omit the red pepper flakes.
• Corn bread and a tossed green salad.