Parmesan Corn Chowder is a rich and creamy vegetarian soup. The Parmesan cheese turns a basic corn and vegetable chowder into something special.
PARMESAN CORN CHOWDER INGREDIENTS:
2 cups water
2 cups cubed potatoes
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 can cream-style corn
1 can whole kernel can
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in the water for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Do not drain. Stir the cold milk into the flour, mixing until the lumps are gone. Pour the milk and flour mixture into the hot pan of vegetables. Stir continuously as the chowder thickens. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the corn, including the liquid, the salt and pepper, butter and cheese. Gently heat (do not boil) and stir until the cheese and butter melt.
• If you don’t have fresh milk, use one cup canned evaporated milk and one additional (total of three) cup of water.
• Add extra flavor by replacing the water with chicken stock.
• Add a can of clams and their juice for a cheesy clam chowder.
• The chowder will scorch and get lumpy if you don’t stand there and stir it after you’ve added the flour and milk mixture. It doesn’t take but a minute or so for the mixture to cook and thicken.
• For best results, use freshly grated, real Parmesan cheese
• My family likes bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches with corn chowder.
• We add hot pepper sauce to chowder. I put the bottle on the table and each person seasons it to their liking.