Savory Pork Stew combines fresh herbs and vegetables with pork. They simmer into a flavorful stew that is excellent over egg noodles.
Recipe for Savory Pork Stew
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless pork cubes
1 large onion
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups water
1 pound carrots
1 green bell pepper
1 rib celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Heat oil in Dutch oven or large stew pot. Add the pork and brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally to brown on all sides. While meat is browning, prepare the vegetables. Peel the carrots cut them into thick slices. Peel the onion and cut into bite size chunks. Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper and cut the flesh into pieces. Remove large strings from the celery and slice the remainder. Chop or mince the herbs.
Add the vegetables and remaining ingredients to the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an hour or longer. Stir occasionally as it simmers.
• Substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs for each tablespoon fresh herbs.
• You can use canned mushrooms instead of the fresh mushrooms.
• To make this a one pot meal, add two cups of peeled and cubed potatoes along with the other vegetables.
• Add bite size chunks of turnips, rutabagas, pumpkin, or squash.
• If you don’t find cubed pork meat at the grocery store, you can do it yourself. Buy boneless pork chops, pork steak, pork ribs, or a boneless pork roast and cut it into bite size pieces. It cuts easier if it is partially frozen.
• Excellent served over egg noodles.
• Round out the meal with applesauce and some oatmeal raisin cookies.