Tomato, Fennel, and Seafood Soup
The fennel gives this a delightfully different taste. It is really good. You can substitute talipia, cod, or some other white fish for the halibut, or even salmon.
* 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 5 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
* 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
* 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 1 cup dry white wine
* 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
* 1/2 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp,
* 1/2 pound sea scallops
* 1/2 pound skinless halibut fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
* 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* Thyme sprigs (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomato paste to pan and cook 7 minutes or until paste begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
Add fennel and next 4 ingredients (through clam juice) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
Stir in shrimp, scallops, and fish. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until fish is done.
Gently stir in tarragon, chopped thyme, and pepper. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Favorite Soup Recipes.