Unstuffed Cabbage Soup gives you the flavor of stuffed cabbage rolls without the work. This recipe is easy to make. It is a delicious way to get the cabbage nutrients.
Recipe for Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
½ lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups beef broth
2 cups V8 style vegetable juice cocktail
1 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
5 cups shredded fresh green cabbage
½ teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked instant rice
Brown ground beef, scrambling it to break it into small pieces. Add onion and cook until onion is limp. Transfer beef and onion to a soup kettle. Add all the rest of the ingredients, except the rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until cabbage is cooked. Add instant rice, stir, cover, and turn off the heat. Let sit for about 5 minutes; the rice will cook as it sits.
• Save time by substituting an eight ounce bag of coleslaw mix for the shredded cabbage.
• If you don’t have the V8 juice, use tomato juice and add a dash of hot pepper sauce.
• You can use canned whole, sliced, or diced tomatoes in place of the stewed tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes, cut them into smaller chunks.
• Increase the nutritional value by using 1 cup instant brown rice instead of the instant white rice.
• For a change, use ground pork or bulk Italian sausage instead of the ground beef.
• This has the flavor of stuffed cabbage rolls but is much quicker to fix and doesn’t require baking time.
• I traditionally serve garlic bread with stuffed cabbage rolls and it goes exceptionally well with this unstuffed cabbage soup recipe, too. Add fruit and cookies to round out the meal.